Table of contents
$26.7 trillion and growing every day, it’s the value of the global eCommerce industry now. That number proves that if you aren’t looking for an end-to-end eCommerce solution development already, you are clearly missing out. And with every passing day, that gap will be growing because online shopping is the new black and brick-and-mortar stores are fast becoming obsolete. In fact, experts from the World Economic Forum state that the COVID-19 pandemic speed up the global switch to eCommerce by five years. So, if you want to have a whisper of a chance in sales, you must launch an online store of some kind today.
The good news is that eCommerce platforms are also evolving fast to meet the growing demand. But because of this, there are so many of them today that it’s hard to choose the best one.
Fear not, we are here to help you with a detailed guide listing the pros and cons of every top platform in the industry.
Top 10 Platforms for Your End-to-End eCommerce Solution Development
Shopify is a highly flexible platform that can be integrated with Oberlo. Therefore, if you want to create an end-to-end eCommerce solution for dropshipping, this would be the best option. Shopify is very easy to use, especially for adding items to your shop fast. In addition, the platform has some outstanding features, such as social media sync and Live Chat.
Shopify offers flexible payment plans for businesses of different sizes.
- Easy to use drag-and-drop interface
- 3,200+ apps for customizing your shop
- 100+ payment gateways support
- Dropshipping tools integration
- High-speed website loading
- Foreign currencies are only accepted through third-party apps
- Non-Shopify payments are subject to additional fees
- The selection of free themes and extensions is limited
Shopify offers three subscription plans that cost $29, $79, or $299 a month. You can save up to 25% with annual plans. Check out the Shopify website for more details.
If you are looking to create an end-to-end eCommerce solution for a large enterprise, there is no better option than Magento. The main benefit of this platform is that it offers you complete control of your website. It means that your eCommerce web application development company has total freedom to create a 100% unique product. You’ll get to distinguish your web presence but keep full server autonomy.
At the moment, Magento offers the most freedom for customization among platforms of this kind.
- Suited for high-volume eCommerce businesses
- Intuitive design
- Doesn’t require a developer for updates
- Free open-source software
- Huge SEO capabilities
- Highest level of customization available today
- 1,000+ extensions and themes
- Expensive for fully-hosted websites ($1,500+)
- Open-source software doesn’t have support
Open-source Adobe software is free but Adobe Commerce Pro packages are not. The cost of this service package will vary depending on the Annual Gross Merchandise value. On average, the price for a fully-hosted Magento eCommerce solution starts at around $1,500 a month. Visit the Magento website for more information and a personalized demo.
The main advantage of the BigCommerce platform is that it can fit both small and big businesses. In fact, this platform is an excellent choice for scalability. Your eCommerce web application development team will appreciate this choice for its flexibility. Moreover, they will be able to bring your ideas to life exactly how you want them. Also, the pricing model is flexible and affordable overall.
BigCommerce offers extensive reporting options and multiple features that allow you to set up an online retail business fast.
- All plans offer unlimited bandwidth, storage, and product listings
- Allows you to add a blog
- 65+ payment gateways
- Accepts international payments
- Multi-channel sales support
- Bulk uploads of products
- Support of multiple languages
- Many valuable features (reviews, shipping times, etc.)
- Takes a while to master by non-developers
- High-volume sales can be expensive
- A limited number of free themes
BigCommerce allows you a free 15-day trial and three plans $29.95, $79.95, and $299.95 per month. There is also an enterprise solution for bigger businesses. That one has custom-tailored pricing plans. You’ll need to reach out to BigCommerce to get more info about it.
WooCommerce is one of the best platforms for your end-to-end eCommerce solution development due to its flexibility. It’s very easy to use and customize for your needs. WooCommerce is based on WordPress and would be the best choice for those used to working with this platform. Also, it has excellent SEO capabilities.
WooCommerce is free. So it’s perfect for small businesses that are just starting their eCommerce journey.
- Free platform
- Allows high level of customization
- Open-source software
- Easy integration with multiple solutions
- Not all updates synch well with WordPress
- A challenging platform for those who don’t know WordPress
- The platform is free but hosting, development, and maintenance costs add up
WooCommerce is free. But you can get extensions that offer some very useful functionality in bundles or separately. The Storefront bundle with everything you need to launch a store costs $69. See more offers at the WooCommerce website.
Squarespace is a super-scalable platform. It’s one of the best choices for a startup’s end-to-end eCommerce solution because of its capacity for customization and growth. It also offers a wide range of promotional tools you can use to start making money fast. The website design functionality is very easy to use, and the designs are beautiful.
Squarespace provides extra SEO guidance to every customer.
- A drag-and-drop website builder that’s easy to use
- Great selection of designs
- Email marketing features
- Impressive website analytics functionality (conversion and sales tracking)
- Not many integrations are available now
- Extra fees for payment processing
- No phone support available
With Squarespace, you get a 14-day free trial. Then, you can choose from four plans that cost $12, $18, $26, and $40 a month. You can cut the cost by 25% by buying an annual plan. See more at Squarespace.com.
Wix is the best eCommerce platform for those who need to start selling as soon as possible. It’s very easy to use and allows you to get an online shop up and running within minutes. You don’t even need to hire an eCommerce web application development team to get started. The drag-and-drop website builder is intuitive and enables you to create some beautiful designs.
Despite its simplicity, the Wix platform is equipped with multi-channel sales capabilities.
- Excellent choice for small businesses that need a shop fast
- Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) tool for creating beautiful website designs
- Multi-channel sales support
- Integration with all major payment providers
- Small storage for the Basic plan (20Gb)
- Plans above Basic aren’t cheap
- Limited add-ons and scalability
Wix is an affordable platform and you can use a 14-day free trial to see what it’s capable of. There are many plans, starting at $4.5 a month. Business and eCommerce plans cost $17, $25, or $35 a month. You can learn more at the Wix website.
Shift4Shop is an eCommerce platform formerly known as 3dcart. It’s a good option for those who are interested in a fast setup and mobile-first design. The platform is also equipped with robust SEO features, so marketing your shop will be easier. In addition, Shift4Shop has a straightforward interface. Therefore, it can be a good option as a small business end-to-end eCommerce solution.
The platform is intuitive and offers multiple features that can customize and optimize your store fast.
- Provides real-time shipping data
- Supports 200+ payment methods
- Offers various SEO tools
- Multiple reporting options are available
- Only 61 free themes
- Limited customization features (compared to other top platforms)
- No customer support by phone for some plans
Shift4Shop has a very peculiar payment model. At the moment, US customers can enjoy the platform’s services and set up a store for free as long as they use the Shift4Shop payment processing service. Customers from other countries can sign up for plans that cost $29, $79, and $299 per month. See more details at Shift4Shop.
If your retail business’ primary focus is your brick-and-mortar store, Weebly is the platform for you. The end-to-end eCommerce solution development team you hire will be able to create a fantastic website using it. But, most importantly, you can use it to add the ‘buy online’ functionality to your brick-and-mortar business fast and without spending too much money. The platform’s drag-and-drop builder is easy to use, and it leaves a lot of room for creativity.
There is a free Weebly plan for small businesses that want to start getting results from online sales right away.
- Simple and intuitive user interface
- A free plan is available
- Extra-fast and easy store setup
- Can be integrated with 300+ eCommerce apps
- Cannot be integrated with Amazon
- Supports only a few payment systems
- Phone support isn’t available for personal and free plans
Weebly has a rather nice but limited free plan. If you are looking for more storage, bandwidth, and functionality, you’ll have to pay for one of the paid plans ($9, $16, or $29 a month). You can save up to 33% if you buy an annual plan. See Weebly to learn more.
Smoolis isn’t a specialized eCommerce platform development solution but a website builder. However, it’s rather versatile and easy to use. Also, it allows you to set up a multilingual website easily. Therefore, small businesses that want to start selling internationally can benefit from choosing this solution.
Even though it’s not a dedicated eCommerce platform, Smoolis enables you to accept international payments.
- Built-in currency converter
- Can accept international payments directly
- Supports 58 languages
- Easy multilingual website setup
- A limited number of products for upload (500)
- A limited number of available web pages (100)
- Few integrations and add-ons compared to other platforms
Smoolis offers a free trial as a chance to create a free landing page. Then, you can upgrade it by paying for an eCommerce plan (6CHF per month). Note that this plan only offers 50 products and you’ll need to pay an extra 2CHF for every other 50 products you want to add. Check out the Smoolis website to learn more.
Square Online is a great platform choice for your end-to-end eCommerce solution if your budget is tight. It’s a platform that allows you to use up to 500MB of storage for free and has no limit on sales. Beyond that, you’ll have to use paid plans. But they are affordable as well. Also, the platform is intuitive and can have you launch a shop within a day.
Square Online only works with Square Payments, but it accepts all major credit cards.
- A Free plan is available for budget-sensitive small businesses
- No limit on products or monthly sales
- Built-in multichannel selling capabilities
- The free plan only offers 500MB of storage
- No international selling capabilities
- The platform is not fit for scalability
Square online has a highly flexible pricing structure. So you can get a package that costs a few dollars a month or a comprehensive solution worth $60 and more. Take a look at a more detailed cost breakdown on the Square website and contact the company for a custom-tailored offer.
Bottom Line: What’s the Best Platform for Your End-to-End eCommerce Solution Development?
As you can see, each of the top eCommerce platforms can be a good choice depending on your business needs. That’s why you need to consider the following things when making your decision:
Decide if you can afford to hire a developer team or if you need to start with a limited free platform. You can expand as your business grows.
Remember that while moving a store to a different platform is possible, it can also be complicated and stressful. Therefore, it will be best to choose a scalable platform from the start.
Think about your business plans and make a list of features that are most important for your store. Then, look for a platform that offers them at a reasonable cost.
If you are launching your first online store, it’s imperative to market it actively and even aggressively. So, it will be better to choose a platform that has robust SEO and other marketing features.
Did this help to relieve some of your confusion over the matter of which eCommerce platform is the best for your business? If you have any questions or need expert help making the decision, don’t hesitate to contact our experienced team of end-to-end eCommerce solution developers. We’ll gladly assist you in designing a store that’s guaranteed to succeed.